A Brief History of Emmanuel United Church of Christ, New Berlin
In 1793, the year following the founding of New Berlin, members of the Lutheran and German Reformed congregations untied to build a log structure on the corner of Vine Street and Church Alley. The log church served the community until 1821, when it was replaced by a brick building, dedicated on July 31, 1825. The two-story church housed a gallery along three sides and a tall spire topped with brass, winged Gabriel, trumpet in hand. The pulpit was notable, having been modeled after the one in the German Reformed Church in Harrisburg.
In 1867, after 74 years together, the two congregations sought separate buildings. The German Reformed remained at the original location, but rebuilt the structure from its foundation in 1912. The windows of the earlier building now adorn our current social room.
Other buildings also served the congregation during the years. From around 1824-1847, an octagonal brick school house stood on the southeast corner of the church lot. There was also a small cemetery between the school and the church, in the space of the current parking lot.
Throughout its 222 year history, thirty-one pastors have served the congregation of Emmanuel United Church of Christ, New Berlin. Our thirty-second pastor, Dr. James Cope began his ministry with us in August of 2014.